Be With You forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mangettes: Gate 7  (Read 13785 times)

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
Mangettes: Gate 7
« on: December 17, 2008, 09:07:16 PM »

We've known for a while now that Dark Horse (publishers of Hellboy, Sin City, Blade of the Immortal, Ghost in the Shell) and CLAMP were teaming up to create an original shoujo manga to be serialized in a new method for of publishing. Scheduled for August 2009, these 'Mangettes' will be published in book form monthly at eighty pages, in both English and Japanese, internationally, simultaneously. Now we've learned the title and the premise of the upcoming CLAMP manga--

Mangettes: Gate 7
by CLAMP

"Between our conscious, waking world and the subconscious state of slumber, there is a thinly veiled plane of lucid dreaming. While the conscious state belongs to individuals, the hidden plane of dreams is one shared by all human minds, past, present, and future. Yet only a few have ever possessed the power to enter this secret realm at will - where a war is being waged to control the waking world. For our earthly wishes and desires are not our own, but under the manipulation of these unseen masters of dreams. The heroine of Gate 7 is Hana, a high-school girl hailing from Kyoto, the daughter of a temple caretaker. Her peaceful ways give her the self-control to act in the hidden realm. But Hana can only reach it through the strange beast that acts as her totem in the world of dreams - and her companion on a journey to confront the puppeteers of our reality!"

Retrieved from CLAMP NOW (http://community.livejournal.com/clamp_now) who retrieved from Kuriousity (http://www.kuri-ousity.com/?p=982).

It reminds me of CLAMP's dropped light-novel, Yumegari. Mokona for lead artist, please! Though if its anything similar to the style of Yumegari, it won't matter.

If CLAMP is going to make a manga about lucid dreaming, please let them have done their research properly. But it looks like Ohkawa has been itching to write about it for a long time.

And side note-- wait a minute. 80 pages a month? I don't believe that CLAMP can handle that.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2009, 04:43:26 AM by Chara »

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Mangettes: Gate 7
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2008, 12:04:28 PM »

Sounds interesting. I think I'll read it. I'll check it out at the very least.

Anyway, by having the plot based on a "dream world", I see a possibility of crossovers from other CLAMP works, most notably Holic which features a lot of communication between people in dreams.

By the way - what's exactly Dark Horse's part in this collaboration? If CLAMP are providing the story and art, so Dark Horse just...publish?

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2008, 03:51:05 PM »

Yep, Dark Horse should simply be handling the publisher's part. Unlike cases where manga gets licensed though, this should come with a lot more responsibilities-- they are the sole company promoting/advertising the work, they are providing the budget and resources for the work, scheduling releases of the work and keeping tabs on CLAMP (making sure they hand things in on time, aren't half-assing-- I can foresee possible problems here, because I hear manga publishing in Japan is very... loose about being on time, and in the West when a meeting starts at noon, they mean noon sharp, not five after), and they can have a significant say in the content and general direction of the work if they choose to (they'll be providing editors too). They'll also have to manage the scans of the original artwork for the manga, and will probably translate/typeset it into more than English/Japanese (like Chinese and Korean). I'm anticipating that, being American, brand management will be very important to Dark Horse.

I'm not aware that Dark Horse has ever published anything in Japan, I wonder how they're managing publication within Japan. Its not like CLAMP is leaving Tokyo... I guess they must have hired a team of Japanese editors just for this purpose.

I'm curious, how will you get your hands on it? Do they sell these kinds of things where you live? Or are you counting on the internet (download/buy)?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2008, 03:54:03 PM by Chara »

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 04:23:50 PM »

I'm kinda counting on my trust-worthy internet for reading it, but if it turns out to be really good, I guess I'll find a store that sells it or I'll just check online stores for it.

Something I thought of - If Dark Horse will use their brain, they might also have CLAMP take a part in the translation process. It'll truly improve the translation quality, as CLAMP will know best how they want to convey the dialogue in other languages.

One more thing - Wow, 80 pages each month, with releases being on time, from CLAMP? It'll probably be very strange for CLAMP to work like that.

mino

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2008, 10:04:29 AM »

And side note-- wait a minute. 80 pages a month? I don't believe that CLAMP can handle that.
perhaps clamp is already doing a part of it now but not publishing it.

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 12:07:24 AM »

Amazon Canada has listed the price of the first mangette

$8.45 CDN

Sounds about right for 80 pages of manga. So that's how much I'll be loosing to CLAMP each month~
« Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 12:10:31 AM by Chara »

dragonarya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2009, 03:07:25 PM »

Ooooh, looks and sounds good. It really reminds me of xxxHOLiC, both in art and story. Maybe BWYS can scanlate it? I read somewhere in a CLAMP interview that Tsubasa is in/nearing its final arc, and since xxxHOLiC is tied to TRC, it's probably in the same phase. So, Gate 7 might be released after TRC and xxxH are completed.

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2009, 04:44:40 PM »

Gate 7 will be released in English at the same time as in Japanese at an affordable price so there's no reason to scanlate it.