Be With You forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Japanese Music  (Read 138699 times)

XiongMao-kun

Re: Japanese Music
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 03:22:29 PM »

When this happened to me, I found that it was because I was sick to death of hearing songs about love (especially when you can understand the lyrics). I know, there are songs that are not about love in Western English-language music but at that point in my life I only listened to popular music radio. This was in the last few years of the cassette.
For me as well, this was much of the allure of foreign music. Just the unknowing of what the song is literally about adds a whole new interesting layer. Japanese and Nordic music in particular, where the lyrics almost become meshed into the melody as if the foreign vocals are instruments of their own. It's difficult to describe.. but all I know is, even though I don't understand a single word, every time I listen to Kaze Wo Atsumete it makes me sooo happy
I know exactly where you're coming from. I've been similarly drawn to Japanese and Korean music. I find that when listening to songs in foreign languages, I tend to hear the song for its composition and melodic harmonies which can oftentimes do a far better job of invoking emotions that words ever could. Too bad the more Japanese I learn, the less alluring it becomes :crazy:

More recently I've been turned towards a lot of lyricless soundtrack music (mainly from image albums, OSTs, etc.) 95% of which comes from anime  :grin: Although, for the most part, the songs aren't blatantly Japanese.

Hmm, that's probably true. I seem to have done the opposite though. I was into OSTs before, and now I'm into Japanese music.

Motoko-chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 04:16:36 PM »

I've generally been drawn to artists with strong songs as a whole, although I do have the few trash albums I still love. It doesn't matter much the language. The chances of me listening to Live is about the same as Alizée or even 倖田 來未 (Kumi Koda).

Of course, I'm currently listening to J-Pop trash in the form of モーニング娘。 (Morning Musume.) and possibly I'll listen to Jackson Browne after this finishes.

Torn Battered Wings

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2008, 02:26:57 AM »

I've generally been drawn to artists with strong songs as a whole, although I do have the few trash albums I still love. It doesn't matter much the language. The chances of me listening to Live is about the same as Alizée or even 倖田 來未 (Kumi Koda).

Of course, I'm currently listening to J-Pop trash in the form of モーニング娘。 (Morning Musume.) and possibly I'll listen to Jackson Browne after this finishes.

My God, Alizée is amazing. :love:

Personally, I listen to Japanese music simply because I love hearing other languages. I'm also fond German music in particular, mostly metal.

By the way,  "Prisoner of Love" by Utada Hikaru is way too addictive.
Kiss me, it will heal but it won't forget.

Motoko-chan

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Motoko's Pagoda
« Reply #18 on: July 23, 2008, 04:28:49 PM »

Personally, I listen to Japanese music simply because I love hearing other languages. I'm also fond German music in particular, mostly metal.

Yeah, I have the requisite Rammstein, but haven't really branched out from there. Most of my other heavy stuff is by foreign bands, but in English (Nightwish, Within Temptation, Lacuna Coil). I'd like to find some more Galneryus, but it's impossible to find without buying from foreign stores.

By the way,  "Prisoner of Love" by Utada Hikaru is way too addictive.

I'll look it up. Her English debut was awfully uneven, but I've heard good things about her Japanese work.

Right now, Beth Orton is playing while I work.

SenoWaffle

• Loli Guru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2008, 07:53:54 PM »

I agree with Halum. Lately, my choice of music has been more lyric less then lyrical :P. I rather the music speak for itself than the person who is singing it.

Hippolord

• Mudkipper
  • Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2008, 08:33:41 PM »

I agree with both halum and seno. I see voices as sort of the accompaniment to the music though :p ie. i very much like voices that are used as "instruments", that flow harmoniously with every other instrument and isnt overpowering.

I think part of this is because i grew up listening to classical though.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 08:36:25 PM by Hippolord »

I (l0 PB&J

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 09:07:05 PM »

Right now, Beth Orton is playing while I work.

Currently listening to Do Make Say Think at work. :dansu: Music certainly eases the pain of over-time at the grind 
With regards to all the instrumental talk/love above, please please give these guys a listen. They're one of my favourites  :wink:

Do Make Say Think's A Tender History In Rust:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EYRwE9HPgpM

senosis

• View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 06:48:04 AM »

Is anybody else like this? And what are your favorite bands?
I'm a BIG jrock fan! I loved Dir en Grey since i was a kid rly along with X japan ^-^

Mizumi

• View Profile
    • My deviantART page
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2008, 11:01:53 AM »

I, too, love J-pop more than western pop music, although I do listen to some of my native singers and actually enjoy them. But those aren't exactly the well-known artists. I'm not exactly into J-rock, but that's mostly because I'm not into 'louder' music in general.
It's also a bit of the exotic twist that attracts me to Japanese music. That, and I often find that they can actually sing and dare to experiment, as opposed to some western artists. (Not all, mind you.)
At the moment, I'm really into KOKIA, a J-pop singer with a lot of different sides. She's also sung in English, French, Italian and Celtic. That should rule out the fact I only like J-pop because it's sung in Japanese. Although it is what attracted me first to J-pop, it's not #1 requirement to me anymore.

Halumbooka

« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2008, 12:03:00 PM »

I agree with both halum and seno. I see voices as sort of the accompaniment to the music though :p ie. i very much like voices that are used as "instruments", that flow harmoniously with every other instrument and isnt overpowering.

I think part of this is because i grew up listening to classical though.

Just to clarify, by lyric-less songs, I mean songs without "words" (or at least without words I understand  :grin:). Expressive nonsensical ramblings wouldn't be considered lyrics in my books (ie half the backup singers in a cappella groups =P)

I think overall though, we probably shouldn't draw too much of a distinct line between vocals and instruments. For a vocalist, I think the most important thing about singing a song is the way the express themselves, not merely the words they use. At the same time, a person who is very adept at their instrument doesn't merely try to play "rhythmic notes", they're also trying to sing, it's just with a different medium.

All music needs balance not just between "instruments" vs "vocals", but between everything. Although, ATM, a large portion of the music I'm listening to is non-vocal.  :lol:

SenoWaffle

• Loli Guru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 28, 2008, 04:42:17 AM by SenoWaffle »

Waterlily

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 04, 2008, 05:47:18 AM »

I like the odd bit of J-pop (as a teen, I liked Morning Musume-yikes!) but now I find I quite like Mika Nakashima, Hikaru Utada and Orange Range. I don't know that much about Japanese singers, but I do tend to- like a lot of the people on this thread- be fond of music in languages I don't understand, or understand very little of. And instrumental East Asian music is teh fabness.

DeeKay

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 13, 2008, 02:17:43 PM »

Any Japanese death metal bands out there? I'm talking about stuff that sounds like this, but made in Japan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R4Dn02bR4pg

As for American rock, I believe the problem there is recycling. That, and kids who just hit puberty, learned guitar for a month and thought starting a band would be cool.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2008, 02:20:38 PM by DeeKay »

tai

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
    • TsundereStorm
« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2009, 03:20:33 AM »

Any Japanese death metal bands out there? I'm talking about stuff that sounds like this, but made in Japan.

he sounds like a hydralisk

Halumbooka

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2009, 09:32:15 PM »

i find it more like a cerebrate
Pages: 1 [2] 3