Be With You forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Legend of Chun Hyang  (Read 128064 times)

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
Legend of Chun Hyang
« on: August 12, 2008, 08:25:34 PM »

So I bought this bunkobon. The Legend of Chun Hyang is one of the only CLAMP titles I haven't read, but when I got home and searched it up I realized it was licensed by TOKYOPOP. I don't think I've ever seen it on shelves, but it was licensed in 2004 and is still in print.

I don't want any more licensed projects but at the same time, it being done by TOKYOPOP is the #1 reason why I wouldn't buy and read Chun Hyang in English.

Is there any interest in scanlating it?

Waterlily

• View Profile
Re: Legend of Chun Hyang
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2008, 05:14:37 AM »

It's been fully scanlated by CLAMP no Lumiere, I don't know if they're still distributing it but check mangatraders or some other site. You might find it under the name Shin Shunkaden, too.

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 12:45:45 PM »

Has it really all been done by CLAMP no Lumiere? From what I know, all they did is the drama CD insert manga, and I was always confused about why they were listed as having done the whole manga for it.

Waterlily

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 01:30:10 PM »

The full length of Tokyopop's English edition is 232 pages, 3 chapters, and the scanlations cover the same (3 chapters, or more like 2 chapters and 1 mini-chapter). I guess that means there's nothing more to scanlate, if CLAMP have really dropped it (wouldn't mind the odd Chun-Hyang vignette now and then, though).

dragonspirit

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 04:50:39 PM »

Clamp no Lumiere scanlated only Shin Shunkaden - A Lunchtime Story and that project really is completed, but they've never done the whole thing.

The full length of Tokyopop's English edition is 232 pages, 3 chapters, and the scanlations cover the same (3 chapters, or more like 2 chapters and 1 mini-chapter).

The only thing I've seen around was scanlation made out of English translation of Polish translation, made of Tokyo Pop translation, and poor quality Chinese raws.
I've read both Polish and English edition, and I must admit that the second one was just too literal. Not to mention that someone just put it together with scans, not editing it.

I really would like to see Chung Hyang in proper quality, because the manga is definitely worth it.

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2008, 05:19:13 PM »

I really would like to see Chung Hyang in proper quality, because the manga is definitely worth it.

All I need is a translator. I just found ok raws, and worse comes to worse I have the actual thing so I can scan it.

I'd feel better waiting for TokyoPop's license to expire before releasing it though.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2008, 05:27:12 PM by Chara »

Waterlily

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 03:58:07 AM »

Yes, Shin Shukaden definitely deserves to have justice done to it- I'd volunteer translator services if I could, but unfortunately I can't read kanji all that well.

How do we go about finding translators?

XiongMao-kun

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 11:45:38 AM »

Kidnap any Japanese friends you may have and force them to work for us.

Waterlily

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 04:42:54 PM »

I can't really ask any of them, but I did post on soompi asking for a translator, leaving a link to this page.

XiongMao-kun

« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 05:43:12 PM »

I can't really ask any of them

Does kidnapping require you to ask the victim? I thought the kidnapped person didn't have a choice in the matter...

Anyways, do we need editors too, or do we just need translators, Chara?

kiwiish

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2008, 07:31:34 PM »

Yes, Shin Shukaden definitely deserves to have justice done to it- I'd volunteer translator services if I could, but unfortunately I can't read kanji all that well.

So do you mean that if it's in hiragana, you would be able to translate it?

Waterlily

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2008, 05:53:59 AM »

So do you mean that if it's in hiragana, you would be able to translate it?

Possibly, but I really wouldn't want to risk it - I had a translation test yesterday and bombed it, trust me you don't want me working on Chun-Hyang.

Soompi's yielded one volunteer for an editor so far, if BWYS needs one. I'll ask around a bit more..

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2008, 07:04:06 AM »

Soompi's yielded one volunteer for an editor so far, if BWYS needs one. I'll ask around a bit more..
Anyways, do we need editors too, or do we just need translators, Chara?

What I need can be found here:
http://bwys.forgottenrain.net/forums/index.php?topic=124.msg628
« Last Edit: October 21, 2008, 07:02:33 PM by Chara »

mino

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2008, 10:28:51 PM »

So I bought this bunkobon. The Legend of Chun Hyang is one of the only CLAMP titles I haven't read, but when I got home and searched it up I realized it was licensed by TOKYOPOP. I don't think I've ever seen it on shelves, but it was licensed in 2004 and is still in print.

I don't want any more licensed projects but at the same time, it being done by TOKYOPOP is the #1 reason why I wouldn't buy and read Chun Hyang in English.

Is there any interest in scanlating it?
http://forums.mangatraders.com/guide/removed_series_by_name.txt

actually tokyopop had just asked mangatraders to stop hosting CLAMP works including x/1999.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 10:38:08 PM by mino »

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2008, 11:54:33 PM »

The only BWYS project I see listed there is X and Gakuen Alice. If that is the case, I am certainly going to think twice about my plan to re-scanlate all of X and Gakuen Alice.

But certainly if new chapters came out of Japan, I would do it unless I got C&D.

CLAMP stuff that IS listed there is
Cardcaptor Sakura
Chobits
CLAMP School Detectives
Clover
Duklyon: CLAMP School Defenders
X

Chun Hyang isn't there~
It seems that although Tokyopop does not have the publishing rights to X, they have the rights to protect X copyrights.

I must sound like a very immoral scanlator right now. Going to Otakon's 2008 Fansubber vs. Industry panel and hearing the American companies' opinions in person really helped loosen my attitude towards infringing licensed copyrights.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2008, 12:01:55 AM by Chara »
Pages: [1] 2