Be With You forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking for a tutorial...  (Read 12176 times)

icarusbride

• View Profile
Looking for a tutorial...
« on: July 09, 2010, 03:30:00 AM »

Hello Be With You staff and fans! I am very curious about this technique which I saw mentioned on the Editor Demo page (http://bwys.org/about/scanlation/editordemo.php    at the bottom) "Extracting and Replacing Midtones" . Does anyone know of any tutorials that mention how to do it? I always feel very dissatisfied with the results when editing magazine scans, so I would really like to learn more about this, the 'after' picture looks very impressive! Thank you.

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
Re: Looking for a tutorial...
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2010, 06:45:36 AM »

I did learn from tutorial, but I think that tutorial was only ever shared with the staff of Inane and whoever that author personally linked to it, so I don't feel privy to spread that tutorial around (I'd have to do some serious digging to locate it too, and I'm not even totally sure I have it at all).

I can't point you towards one but since those days, editing Shounen Jump magazine scans has exploded, so there's probably a tutorial for it somewhere?

Erm back then I did also come up with my own way of doing it but I really doubt its the best way of doing it. Off the top of my head, it went something like this...

• Level page
  • Flatten image so there is only one layer
  • In Channels palette, click on "Load channel as selection" which is the circle at the bottom of the palette (this will select all the black areas) and hit delete
  • Create a new empty layer under that one
  • On that new layer, using the Pattern Stamp Tool, select an appropriate tone from your library of tones you made beforehand and brush in where it should go
  • If there are residual old tones, erase with the Eraser Tool
  • Duplicate the image layer as necessary to give the lines/darks the weight they should have
  • These steps do nothing for black areas with no tones, you still gotta fill those in yourself

Given the speed that some tone-replacers like those at Binktopia release at, I'm sure there are more efficient and effective ways of replacing tones now. Back when I was doing it, I think we were one of the first at Inane.