Be With You forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Dragonball Evolution: Goku vs Roshi extended  (Read 13954 times)

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
Dragonball Evolution: Goku vs Roshi extended
« on: March 11, 2009, 06:48:09 PM »

[04:38] <Masao> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFfZbnhN8mI#noexternalembed
[04:38] <Masao> I AM MUTEN ROSHI!
[04:38] <Masao> THE INVINCIBLE! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

The lulz derived from that line do not eclipse the horrible-ness of the rest of the video.

Anyway, Akira Toriyama was quoted last month saying “As the creator, seeing what they’d done with the characters and script I was like ‘what?’”, and “Perhaps it is best appreciated as ‘New Dragonball’, Dragonball in an another dimension.”

The best thing to come out of this is that the Japanese will remaster and re-record the sound of Dragon Ball Z so that a new generation of Japanese children can enjoy. And I will get to re-follow Dragon Ball Z fansubbed.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 01:33:26 AM by Chara »

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Dragonball Evolution: Goku vs Roshi extended
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 07:56:59 PM »

I want to cry. I hate this movie. There's simply nothing in this scene that tells me "You're are watching live-action DB".
This movie is just a kick to the nuts to everyone who ever waited for a live-action adaption of DB. And I see that even Akira Toriyama acknowledges it.

On another note, I do too wait to watch the new remake of DBZ. I never watched the whole DBZ in Japanese. When I was watching it, I watched the beginning of it with Hebrew dub (FAIL), and the rest with English dub. There might have been a few episodes I watched in Japanese, back then.
I later re-watched episodes some episodes and the movies with Japanese dub and English subs, so I am familiar with the original voices and I'm extremely happy that they managed to get the original cast(or at least most of it) back on.

P.S:
DB: Evolution seems to me like a piece of shit even as a standalone movie. Let's take this scene you posted. It doesn't make any sense. They just jump from one thing to another with no sense.

P.P.S:
DBZ was one of the animes that really got me into watching anime and reading manga, which later brought me to generally being interested with Japan and the Japanese language. So I really don't like Hollywood fucking around with one of my most beloved series.

I (l0 PB&J

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2009, 09:39:33 AM »

first Bulletproof Monk, then Pirates 3, now this...

from hk action veteran (A Better Tomorrow, God of Gamblers) & a red-carpet appearance for Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon...

Chow Yun Fat has reached a sad new low

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 05:30:52 PM »

To the surprise of all Western DBZ fans, the movie has come out in Asia and was a blockbuster.

Says Sankaku:

Over the weekend, Dragonball was the number 1 movie in China, Malaysia, Thailand, Hong Kong, Singapore and South Korea.

The movie grossed $3.4 million from 855 locales in China, and was 20th Century Fox’s fourth-highest weekend opening in the market.

The movie also made it to the number 2 spot in Japan, where it is buoyed by the dubbing talent of comedienne Aya Hirano, producing $3.3 million in ticket sales from 540 screens.

Critics have generally received the film negatively.

The movie premieres in North America and the UK on April 9th.

Via Hollywood Reporter.

Fans have complained about liberties taken with the story (even the Dragonball creator cannot bring himself to praise it), the casting of non-Asians, the acting, etc., yet still they crowd cinemas the world over, along with the general audience who are presumably the bulk of patrons.

Continued success looks set to guarantee a series of films for fans to bemoan, and then meekly watch.

The sauce http://www.sankakucomplex.com/2009/03/16/dragonball-evolution-tops-asian-box-offices/

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2009, 07:42:48 PM »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/review/dragonball-evolution

This review pretty much reassures me everything I thought about this movie.
The reason this movie is a blockbuster at Asia is because of the hype, and nothing else.

What and utter bullcrap of a movie. DB Kai please make up for this pile of shit.

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2009, 09:35:37 PM »

"Might be fun when you're hammered and surrounded by friends. Or suicidal, and need something to push you over the edge."

Do not give your money to the people who made this shit. We don't need more Dragonball Evolutions or Speed Racers.

NEXT UP: Akira, Cowboy Bebop, Ghost in the Shell

If you have to see this movie for the lulz, please pirate it.

EDIT: What I wish I had gotten
« Last Edit: March 17, 2009, 04:48:18 PM by Chara »

Alive

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2009, 12:30:56 AM »

From the parts of this movie I have seen, I think I can say that If I was forced to watch this movie without knowing what it was, I would have thought that this movie wass something someone filmed when they were bored, and not a live action DragonBall Movie

G_chaN

• Self-Portrait :P
    • View Profile
    • GLyNchaN's DA
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 06:49:24 AM »

I kept hearing negative feedback from this. Oh well, what did I expect? I also think the movie is a complete waste of film. Anyway, I was complaining this to my friend and he told me to check this out... LOL...

..just when you thought the DB evo movie sucks.

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2009, 06:54:07 AM »

I heard of this adaption a long time ago. Even though I have never got to see it, you can see that they at least tried harder (the Korean version at least) in the costume department than 20th Century Fox. BTW, I read reviews that say the Korean adaption is better.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 06:55:49 AM by FullMetalBoy »

G_chaN

• Self-Portrait :P
    • View Profile
    • GLyNchaN's DA
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2009, 03:20:53 AM »

The Korean Version from way way back is still better than the DB evolution?? Wow... then the movie really did suck! I never got the chance to see it yet... now I'm a little intrigued on how sucky the movie really was.. since I haven't heard at least a one single POSITIVE feedback from it...

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2009, 08:58:50 PM »

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/feature/2009-04-01

Every single word in this article just points out more to me how little-to-nothing do the makers of this movie know about the Dragon Ball franchise and its fans.