Be With You forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Poll

In your opinion, is xxxHOLiC superior to Tsubasa?

Yes
- 11 (50%)
No
- 2 (9.1%)
They're equal
- 9 (40.9%)

Total Members Voted: 18

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: xxxHOLiC > Tsubasa  (Read 23743 times)

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
xxxHOLiC > Tsubasa
« on: July 23, 2008, 09:07:35 PM »

In my opinion, xxxHOLiC is definitely superior to Tsubasa. As I've said before, I feel Tsubasa is a collection of cheap knockoffs of CLAMP past characters + action.

xxxHOLiC actually has something different and innovative going on with its art, being a modern interpretation of ukiyo-e. This leads it to be more beautiful and the clothes are more interesting, in my opinion. Because they are all original, Yuuko, Watanuki, Doumeki & co are a lot more interesting to me than all this Syaoran/F!Syaoran nonsense.

But that's just me.

SenoWaffle

• Loli Guru
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: xxxHOLiC > Tsubasa
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2008, 09:20:44 PM »

I agree with Chara. xxxHolic has some great diversity in characters who are all very unique. All of that is due to the awesomeness of Yuuko. She is one of the few female characters I have seen that I actually liked based on personality. Tsubasa just seems like CLAMPs attempt to win through some fan service of all their old series. On the other hand, xxxHolic is an original series that has some of great characterization and atmosphere. Anyways, Yuuko ftw  :love:~
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:34:50 PM by SenoWaffle »

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 09:27:58 PM »

I must say that I see both series equally good, since each is compelling the other, and, all in all, they tell one story. True that xxxHolic might be more original about the character design, but I don't think Tsubasa ripps of past Clamp works, but actually brings some of them together while creating a whole new interesting story (I can't wait for the coming chapters of Tsubasa and Holic :) ).

Casusby

• Dynasty Overlord
    • View Profile
    • Dynasty Scans
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 09:33:39 PM »

I've always enjoyed xxxHOLiC more, mainly because of Yuuko and her stunning beauty.....or maybe it was just because of her? No, actually, I do enjoy the story and the supernatural/spiritual aspects of the HOLiC world as well as the other characters.

TRC was always good but it doesn't flow as well for me sometimes. Really beautiful art, but seems to interrupt the story sometimes.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2008, 09:35:17 PM by Casusby »

XiongMao-kun

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »

I thought TRC has become quite good (excluding the plot holes), but xxx has always been good.

Just an opinion though.

Rye

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2008, 08:06:18 PM »

I read holic first and it's made me biased towards it. Tsubasa is all over the place in terms of story, and is kind of boring.

Kaya

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2008, 03:41:39 PM »

Well for TsubasaRC I think CLAMP is truly insane in what thoughts they're trying to present through a medium of manga.  They have played some very, very risky moves, especially by cutting away the main character.  They break boundaries and as ideology goes the series is rather interesting but….for a series as a whole....I had to vote for xxxHolic.  I <3 this manga.

Where TRC stops short at trying to get it's stronger points across, xxxHolic is deep and beautiful with their inner and outer story.  As people have said, the art work is absolutely gorgeous.

And Yuuko just does an amazing job as someone who knows all, can do nothing about it, but can still laugh and enjoy her liquor <3  I wish I had a great reason for loving Watanuki as much as I do too but…I really love it when he’s a spaz. lol

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2008, 05:33:09 PM »

Well for TsubasaRC I think CLAMP is truly insane in what thoughts they're trying to present through a medium of manga.  They have played some very, very risky moves, especially by cutting away the main character.

That's a good point to bring up, and I thought that too when they first cut out C!Syaoran.

I agree that Watanuki is just not strong enough to hold a protagonist position all by himself, Yuuko goes a long way to help him here. In fact as CLAMP has said, Yuuko is probably a strong enough character to lead a manga all by herself.

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2008, 05:48:02 PM »

In fact as CLAMP has said, Yuuko is probably a strong enough character to lead a manga all by herself.

Funny thing - long long time ago, before I started reading xxxHolic(but already read TRC), I thought Yuuko is the leading protagonist.

Kaya

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2008, 03:16:21 AM »

In fact as CLAMP has said, Yuuko is probably a strong enough character to lead a manga all by herself.

Sigh.  If they made a manga for Clow and/or Yuuko I would be a very, very happy person.

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2008, 03:19:29 AM »

Sigh.  If they made a manga for Clow and/or Yuuko I would be a very, very happy person.

Actually they made a book. I don't know if you've read them, but that's what the "Soel to Larg: Mokona=Modoki no Bouken" are about. Its a picture book of short drabbles about Mokona and Modoki's life with Clow and Yuuko just after they were created- and this is back in the days when Clow had Kero and Yue <3

Kaya

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2008, 03:22:15 AM »

Actually they made a book. I don't know if you've read them, but that's what the "Soel to Larg: Mokona=Modoki no Bouken" are about. Its a picture book of short drabbles about Mokona and Modoki's life with Clow and Yuuko just after they were created- and this is back in the days when Clow had Kero and Yue <3

I remember reading something recently.  I'm not sure if that was it or not.  Yuuko was calling Clow 'a sly pair of glasses' or something...?  I don't think there was any Kero and Yue in it though.  The scenes were going between Watanuki and Yuuko and Clow and Yuuko.....

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2008, 03:30:45 AM »

I think you were reading something else then. The Soel to Larg translations can be found at the following LiveJournal links:

Part 1: http://iamsocool12345.livejournal.com/41800.html
Part 2: http://iamsocool12345.livejournal.com/44317.html

and the pictures accompanying the short stories can be found at

http://www.kimihiro.net/mokona/gallery.php

There certainly isn't any Watanuki in these stories, and a Kero and Yue are only in a few. But there are some precious Clow/Yuuko moments here <3

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2008, 08:54:09 AM »

You read the translation for xxxHolic's drama CD, probably over at starlady's LJ. I read it too. It's really interesting, since it's about the creation of the Mokonas and Yuuko's relationship with Clow. I think I'm gonna read now the picture book, I heard of it a long time ago but never found a translation :P

Kaya

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2008, 03:15:36 PM »

I was looking through the first part and I do remember reading that, but I never knew she finished the second part so thank you!!  And I always wondered where that Syaoran and Watanuki with the Mokonas picture came from....

And yes, the one I read recently was at starlady's.
Pages: [1] 2

anything