Be With You forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Thoughts on Fullmetal Alchemsit 2  (Read 9633 times)

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
Thoughts on Fullmetal Alchemsit 2
« on: April 05, 2009, 10:00:53 PM »

I was very disappointed. What part of this is being more faithful to the manga? I understand not wanting to bore viewers with the same story presented for a third time, but it would have been immensely better than this. Unlike the original-anime storylines from the 2003 version, this episode's story had no Arakawa-esque feeling to it and it played out rather like a filler. I guessed halfway that this was directed by the someone from the key staff of Soul Eater; why Bones would pick him I have no idea. I thought he did a good job in Soul Eater and he'd probably make great adaptations of similar weekly shounen manga like Naruto or Bleach. But FMA is not your ordinary weekly shounen (well its monthly for one thing, but that's not the point). This episode was gimmicky, the tone and humor forced. The fighting was very unimpressive as there was little to no hand-to-hand combat (there was more in the ending theme!) ver.2003 never lost an opportunity to show how agile Alphonse was in hand-to-hand and each fight was an opportunity for Bones to impress us, not something that's there because its a mandatory component of an action-shounen.

In no way was this storyline comparable to the real Lior storyline. Even if next episode returns to the manga, I felt cheated by this episode. And is it just me or have all the characters been dumbed down? I had to rely on my memories of how the story was told in the 2003 to be able to empathize with Edward.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:09:21 PM by Chara »

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Fullmetal Alchemsit 2
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2009, 12:08:39 PM »

I'm sharing your disappointment Chara, but I think this is just an into episode. I guess they felt required to introduce as many characters as possible at the first episode, so they made this up. I'm on the other hand think it's unnecessary.

I think that in episode 3 they're going to go back to the original story, since in the "Next Episode" they seem to have a dedicated episode for Ed and Al's origin story, which I also think is unnecessary, since the manga reveal their story with a good pacing.

They also decided to reveal to those who are new to the series that Al is basically an empty suit of armor, instead of leaving that revelation to be made in the same way it was made in the manga - Al being shot to the head, his armor body falling to the ground and then raising, which was awesome. But that's really a small thing.

And since the whole story that gone in this episode is going to be neglected throughout the rest of the series(as it is going to follow the manga), I think it's quite ridiculous how much they decided to tear up Central. BTW, what was Roy doing there? He's stationed at East City.

I also disliked that they used Isaac to foreshadow future revelations, specifically the horrors with which the army is deeply involved(I won't go into detail since I don't want to spoil to those who don't read the manga). It's just waaaayyyyy to early to hint the audience about that.

Chara, you're right about that there's little to no hand-to-hand combat....I didn't notice that when I watched, so it didn't quite bother me, but there should truly be more hand-to-hand combat.

They also did the "Ed is short" "WHAT DID YOU SAY!?" joke waaaayyyy too much. One time would've been enough to make the audience understand Ed is sensitive about his height, and add to that that many of these jokes are still yet to come throughout the whole series.

I loved the new OP and ED. Especially the ED, cute. One thing that concerns me is that we see neither Ling or Mei in the OP, which makes me wonder where the hell are they.

Hopefully I didn't forget to write anything O:

EDIT: I did forget something - All in all, this episode was fine. I mean, by itself, nothing made it bad. It just didn't match the expectation - to see Ed and Al go again to Lior, the point where their journey took a sharp turn.

P.S:
GO WATCH IT NAO IF YOU DIDNT ARRGHHH >:(
DBK ROCKS
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 12:44:42 PM by FullMetalBoy »

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 04:37:34 PM »

I loved the new OP and ED. Especially the ED, cute. One thing that concerns me is that we see neither Ling or Mei in the OP, which makes me wonder where the hell are they.

P.S:
GO WATCH IT NAO IF YOU DIDNT ARRGHHH >:(
DBK ROCKS

I like the OP song too, though I was initially surprised the OP wasn't jrock like they usually are for FMA. ED is cute, though it reinforces my idea that the tone of the series in general will be more joke-y. ED theme is usually a good time for a slow emotional song so that when the episode ends on a sad, tragic note and then the ED kicks in and you feel so emo...

Every source says that the reception to this episode is highly positive... I seem to be in a minority who feel this way.

BTW where be DBK? Cannot find.

EDIT:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 07:05:30 PM by Chara »

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 09:19:43 PM »

Chara, I highly suggests that you don't this episode as an episode that sets the tone for the rest of the series, give it a chance.

You're also right about that the ED should maybe be something rather dark, as it supposed to reflect the general tone of the series. But I would rather not judge a series just by it's OPs and EDs.

You can search ISOhunt and Mininova for DBK....I'm quite sure Tokyotosho have torrents too....I watched it RAW, and since the Japanese is quite simple in DB I understood quite a large part of it.

lolz@the pic, but really give it a chance. I'm still positive that it'll live up to its premise. Bones did a great job on the old anime and I'm sure than can pull it off again.

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 09:38:19 PM »

Yeah, I know I sounded very hard on what was just a first episode. Certainly I'll give it a chance; there are rumors that it will only kick into full gear in episode three. Fighting in Soul Eater was fantastic (Mmmm that seconds-long fight between Maka and Medusa), hope to see that channeled here. If it does go in that direction I expect certain things that appeared in the recent chapters to be extremely creepy like the awakening of the kishin, which had some of the best convulsions I've seen since End of Eva.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:53:28 PM by Chara »

FullMetalBoy

• BWYS Staff
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 10:24:53 PM »

Oh Chara please don't spoil for me, I'm very faithful to FMA so it's the only series in the meantime I buy and don't download online, and I'm at vol15 :( (Vol16 is right by me, just waiting to be read by me :) )

Chara

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Be With You Scans
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:53:37 PM »

XD sorry

Oh, and it doesn't help that I'm super stressed lately.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2009, 11:57:56 PM by Chara »